Archives for September 2018

Diorama Update / 1:64 Scale VW Beetle Roof Rack

Diorama Beetle Roof RackDiorama Beetle Roof RackDiorama Beetle Roof RackDiorama Beetle Roof RackDiorama Beetle Roof RackDiorama Beetle Roof RackDiorama Beetle Roof RackDiorama Beetle Roof RackDiorama Beetle Roof RackDiorama Beetle Roof RackDiorama Beetle Roof RackDiorama Beetle Roof RackDiorama Beetle Roof RackDiorama Beetle Roof RackDiorama Beetle Roof RackDiorama Beetle Roof RackCompleted Roof RackCompleted Roof RackSince I had fairly good success making the swamp cooler for the Beetle diorama, I wanted to continue to add by making a roof rack for the Beetle. I kicked around ideas for materials and finally decided to use small paper clips for the frame. I didn’t want it to look new, so removing the kinks from the paper clip gave it just enough wear. I used needle nose pliers to bend and shape the frame, trying my best to keep in to scale. I also tried different methods to hold the frame together. JB Weld didn’t work very well and it was very clumpy. Epoxy didn’t well either and like the JB Weld, it was clumpy. I had a little success with super glue gel, but in the end, it just didn’t work out. I ended up soldering the parts together. It’s still a little clumpy, not too bad. For the wooden slats, I was going to use a popsicle stick, but the scale wasn’t so great. What I ended up doing was folding a piece of paper 4 ways and gluing it together. This gave me a good thickness that was close to scale. After the glue was dry, I cut it into strips, dunked them into stain and let them dry. I did use the super glue to secure the slats to the frame. All in all, I’m pleased. It’s not perfect, but building one from scratch at this scale is very difficult.

Diorama Update / 1:64 Scale Swamp Cooler

1:64 Scale Swamp Cooler1:64 Scale Swamp Cooler1:64 Scale Swamp Cooler1:64 Scale Swamp CoolerVW Garage DioramaVW Garage DioramaVW Garage DioramaVW Garage DioramaVW Garage DioramaVW Garage DioramaVW Garage DioramaVW Garage DioramaWorking on the diorama is always a good way to pass time on rainy days. I haven’t had any updates to it since the end of winter, but had an opportunity to add a couple of things this past weekend. I’ve been wanting to add a swamp cooler to one of the shop beetles, but finding material to build one at 1:64 scale proved to be a challenge. I ended up finding a few pieces of plastic tubing in my “junk drawer” that seemed to work perfectly. I can’t remember where they came from or what they were initially intended for. I didn’t take photos of the entire process, but basically these 2 pieces of tubing, a little super glue and JB Weld got the job done. I’m pleased with the way it turned out. Next project for this shop beetle is a new roof rack.

Repair The Repaired Surfboard

Repairing The Repaired SurfboardRepairing The Repaired SurfboardRepairing The Repaired SurfboardRepairing The Repaired SurfboardRepairing The Repaired SurfboardRepairing The Repaired SurfboardRepairing The Repaired SurfboardRepairing The Repaired SurfboardRepairing The Repaired SurfboardRepairing The Repaired SurfboardRepairing The Repaired SurfboardRepairing The Repaired SurfboardRepairing The Repaired SurfboardRepairing The Repaired SurfboardRepairing The Repaired SurfboardRepairing The Repaired SurfboardRepairing The Repaired SurfboardLenora acquired a Rusty surfboard for Mabel a couple of months ago from friends who had picked it up at a VW show in another state. I’d been looking for one for a while and if you’re lucky enough to even find one for sale around north eastern Kentucky, they’re very, very expensive. I’ve been told that this is an early 70’s board that had been damaged some time in it’s life and repaired. It’s supposed to be a quality board, honestly, I don’t know. It’ll probably never see water again unless Mabel is getting a bath, for the rest of it’s life, it’s just a prop. I decided to “redo” the repair only because whoever had done the original repair didn’t take a lot of time to camouflage it. It actually looked pretty bad. This time around, I’m not going to try to hide the repair, just make it look better. Just like Mabel, I want people to see all of the bumps and bruises, that’s what gives it character. I’d thought about having it repainted originally, but I’m sure it’s probably not worth spending anymore money on it. Again, it’s just a prop. I did print some new Rusty logos to put over the repair just so people could see what kind of board it is. I may clear coat it in a couple of days or may just leave it the way it is….I like the way it turned out.

Swamp Cooler Complete

Swamp Cooler CompletedSwamp Cooler CompletedSwamp Cooler CompletedSwamp Cooler CompletedSwamp Cooler CompletedSwamp Cooler CompletedSwamp Cooler CompletedFinished the last step of the swamp cooler this afternoon. Some people include a brace/stand with their cooler, some people don’t. Even though this repo is actually lighter than the original cooler of the 60’s, I thought a support was warranted. I made this one myself with some aluminum tube, all thread and a piece of a aluminum yard stick. Added a suction cup for added support, some fresh paint and it works like a charm. This was a beta build and I may redo it in the future, but for now, it’s perfect.