Getting Mabel Ready For Spring

It was nice enough today to give Mabel the once over, check fluids, air and give her a nice cold start to get her ready for spring. All systems are go!

Mabel’s January Cold Start

Time to get her out on the road again.

Car Wash Day, Updated Pics

MabelMabelMabelMabelMabelMabelConsidering that today is November 18th, the weather was awesome! Especially since we’ve had nothing but rain for the past month and even a little snow. However, when it’s 60+ degrees outside, it’s time to wash the cars! Also took the opportunity to get Mabel out and drive her around town a few times. With the Thanksgiving break coming up in just a few days, I plan to get her out more. I never really put her away for winter, when it’s nice outside, she comes out to play, even if it’s cold. But if it’s snowy and the roads are salty, she stays in the garage.

Mabel Gets A New Battery

New Battery For MabelNew Battery For MabelNew Battery For MabelNew Battery For MabelNew Battery For MabelNew Battery For MabelNew Battery For MabelNew Battery For MabelI noticed a few months ago that if Mabel sat for a week or so without being started, the starter struggled a bit to turn the motor. I installed a hard start relay to see if this made any difference. The battery I was using was a Autocraft Silver 42-1 which is perfect for these cars, it has the protective cap over the positive terminal to keep from accidentally grounding out the battery if somebody is sitting in the back seat. Anyhow, I’d throw the charger on the battery for an hour or so and it’d be fine for a couple of weeks, then after she sat for a few days, I’d have the same issue. Voltage out of the battery without the car running was 10.8 volts, that’s low. Should be around 12.6. With the car running, I was getting right at 14 volts, so I knew the generator was working properly. That battery just wasn’t holding a charge like it should. I also tested for parasitic battery drain and everything checked out ok. The battery is almost 5 years old, time for a new one. This time, I decided to go with a Interstate MT-47. It got good reviews even though it cost a bit more compared to other batteries. It doesn’t have the protective cap over the positive terminal, but the case is built to prevent any accidental grounding. For added protection, you can always throw a piece of rubber, such as an old floor mat, over top of the battery as well. [Read more…]

Hot Wheels Dodge Challenger SRT Custom Complete

2018 Hot Wheels Challenger Custom2018 Hot Wheels Challenger Custom2018 Hot Wheels Challenger Custom2018 Hot Wheels Challenger Custom2018 Hot Wheels Challenger CustomI finished the 1:64 scale Hot Wheels Custom Challenger this afternoon. I wanted it to mimic our 2018 Challenger Scat Pack. I think I got pretty close. I’m no paint expert, but I’m satisfied. The water slide decals really made the similarity stand out. If I had a better ink jet printer, the decals would’ve turned out much better. This was the first time I used the water slide decals, next time, I think I’ll try to use the water slide decals for a laser jet printer. I may revisit this custom again in the future and give it another try, but I like this one and it was a change from the regular VW customs that I do.

Swamp Cooler CompletedRuby Has Been UpgradedRuby Has Been UpgradedRuby Has Been Upgraded

Latest VW Beetle Desktop Wallpaper

VW Beetle Desktop WallpaperVW Beetle Desktop WallpaperVW Beetle Desktop WallpaperVW Beetle Desktop WallpaperVW Beetle Desktop WallpaperVW Beetle Desktop WallpaperLast week I took Mabel down to my favorite place to take pics of our cars. These were my favorites and the ones that I’ll be rotating as my desktop wallpaper until I decide to take updated pictures next spring. Feel free to use them for yourself. Just click on the pic you want, right click within the pic and save to your own pc.

Repair The Repaired Surfboard

Repairing The Repaired SurfboardRepairing The Repaired SurfboardRepairing The Repaired SurfboardRepairing The Repaired SurfboardRepairing The Repaired SurfboardRepairing The Repaired SurfboardRepairing The Repaired SurfboardRepairing The Repaired SurfboardRepairing The Repaired SurfboardRepairing The Repaired SurfboardRepairing The Repaired SurfboardRepairing The Repaired SurfboardRepairing The Repaired SurfboardRepairing The Repaired SurfboardRepairing The Repaired SurfboardRepairing The Repaired SurfboardRepairing The Repaired SurfboardLenora acquired a Rusty surfboard for Mabel a couple of months ago from friends who had picked it up at a VW show in another state. I’d been looking for one for a while and if you’re lucky enough to even find one for sale around north eastern Kentucky, they’re very, very expensive. I’ve been told that this is an early 70’s board that had been damaged some time in it’s life and repaired. It’s supposed to be a quality board, honestly, I don’t know. It’ll probably never see water again unless Mabel is getting a bath, for the rest of it’s life, it’s just a prop. I decided to “redo” the repair only because whoever had done the original repair didn’t take a lot of time to camouflage it. It actually looked pretty bad. This time around, I’m not going to try to hide the repair, just make it look better. Just like Mabel, I want people to see all of the bumps and bruises, that’s what gives it character. I’d thought about having it repainted originally, but I’m sure it’s probably not worth spending anymore money on it. Again, it’s just a prop. I did print some new Rusty logos to put over the repair just so people could see what kind of board it is. I may clear coat it in a couple of days or may just leave it the way it is….I like the way it turned out.

WP Twitter Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com