Got a car guy or gal in your family? Especially a VW enthusiast! What a great Christmas gift this would be for them. Show your support for the Kentucky Old Volks Home by purchasing one of these quality (made in the USA) t-shirts for the car enthusiast in your family!
Many of you have asked about where we walk and jog in the mornings and evenings. What better way to show you than to break out the GoPro and film a warm up lap. The track is located behind Bellefonte Hospital (former Ashland Oil building) in Russell. You can check it out on Google Maps by clicking here! The video was taken on 5/8/2014 around 6pm. Enjoy!
Be sure to set it for HD 1080….
I’m testing some new equipment for work and what better way than to put it through it’s paces as a new media center pc. Out with the old server, in with the a new nano pc. I’ve also had to try out a new wireless router because the Asus routers, installed with DD-WRT, were intermittently dropping their connection. Therefore I’m trying a new Buffalo N450 gigabit wireless router that has better range and comes pre-installed with DD-WRT. I’ve spent the past few days (in between the kitchen and living room remodel) to get the nana pc configured and so far, I’m pretty impressed. It’s now in place and driving our media center, so we’ll see how it does over the next month or so….You can see my previous configuration here!
Here’s the list, in no particular order….enjoy!!!
1. You’ve Got Mail – 1988
(9 / 10)
2. Good Will Hunting – 1977
(8 / 10)
3. City Of Angels – 1998
(7 / 10)
4. Remember The Titans – 2000
(8 / 10)
5. American Beauty – 1999
(7 / 10)
6. Annie Hall – 1977
(8 / 10)
7. A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving – 1973
(7 / 10)
8. It’s The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown – 1966
(8 / 10)
9. A Charlie Brown Christmas – 1965
(8 / 10)
Really wanted to give the rear of the Beetle a different look, so I decided to black out the lower valance. Not a difficult mod, a little time consuming, but very inexpensive. The lower valance is held in place with 3 plastic rivets in the center of the valance and two metal torx on each side of the valance. You can fight the plastic rivets all day long, but save yourself a lot of time and just drill them out. The rivet at the top of the picture is the one I drilled out, the rivet at the bottom of the picture is the replacement. They’re readily available at any auto parts store for just a couple of dollars. Total time to remove the valance is about 5 minutes. Once the valance was removed, I washed it thoroughly and wet sanded with 2000 grit sand paper. You’ll appreciate the effort you put into this later. It’s very important that you remove any dirt, grime and wax before you paint. I spent about an hour wet sanding and prepping for paint. Once I was convinced that it was prepped and ready for paint, I used a prep cloth to ensure that the valance was clean and free of any oil or wax. The prep cloth is a necessary step, probably the most important step. If the valance has any oil, grime or wax on it, the paint/primer will not adhere. I then gave it a light coat of primer and examined for any imperfections. I ended up giving it two good coats of primer, then wet sanded until the surface was smooth. Again, not rocket science, just time consuming. Just when you think you’ve got it where you want it, do it again. Don’t be in a rush. After the final wet sanding, I let it sit in the sun (while the sun was out) for awhile. Up until this point, I’ve got about 3 hours into the project. I didn’t want to paint the valance in the garage, so I was dodging off and on rain showers for a while. Once I was convinced that the rain was over, the painting began. A total of 3 coats, letting it dry at least a half hour in between coats. After the final coat, I let it sit for about 3 hours. I was surprised at just how fast the paint dried. It was actually dry to the touch within an hour, but I didn’t want to rush. The car isn’t going to be driven anywhere today, so the paint will have plenty of time to cure before it hits the road. But after 3 hours, it was plenty dry enough to install. On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the hardest, I’ll give this project a 4. Not hard, but takes some patience and is a little time consuming. But hey, I wasn’t going to get the grass cut today anyhow, so I had plenty of time. Total cost for the project (considering my time is free) was $10.79. All of these supplies can be picked up any any auto parts supply store. That covered the cost of the paint, the rivets (pack of 6) and the prep cloth. I already had a can of primer. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!
I’d love to say that the entire basement project is now 100% complete, but there are still a couple pieces of baseboard that still needs to be installed in the bathroom, but other than that, we’re done with the basement. Hopefully this weekend, weather permitting, we’ve finish with the last couple pieces of baseboard and trim and then, we call can it 100% complete. The shower project has taken a week or so longer than expected, but that’s only because of the weather….it’s hard to cut tile when it’s 20 degrees outside! Overall, we’re very happy with the results. The grout sealer was applied today along with the last of the hardware…Tuesday morning, we’ll be showering in the new shower! This project wasn’t hard, it wasn’t time consuming, it was just a matter of working it into our schedule. The shower just happened to end up on the last of our basement remodel projects. I’m guess that just on the shower alone, we’ve saved about $3,200 by doing it ourselves….totally worth it!