Due to some very nasty weather the past couple of days, I’ve had more time to dedicate to the Custom Hot Wheels VW Golf! I began to highlight the areas designated for rust and corrosion. For this custom, I did this in a three step process. First, I painted the bear metal with a flat tan color. After the paint was dry, I added darker brown pastel chalk dust. I use a hobby knife or sand paper on the pastel chalk to create the dust, then dry brush the dust to the area that I want covered. Once all of the areas are covered in the pastel chalk, I give everything a light coat of flat clear. I only do this to secure the chalk dust. After the flat (matte) clear is dry, I begin to add my solution of hydrogen peroxide and steel wool. I always have a batch brewing. I’ll add this process to the final video once I’m finished with the custom. Since this solution is applied wet, I have to let it dry completely in between coats. Usually, two coats is plenty. The finished process looks and feels exactly like rusty metal. Once again, when the solution is completely dry and I’m satisfied with the results, I give everything a light coat of matte clear. I use the same solution on the base of the car as well. It’s also time to highlight and detail the body. I want it to look like the hood and left front fender have already been replaced. I painted the hood with a gray primer and the fender with a red primer. I didn’t want to keep the interior black, so I painted it a darker tan color. I did not weather the interior on this one. The rest of the body was wet sanded with 800 grit sand paper to give it a weathered and faded look. I added the body color to the lower rear valance and lower front clip that was missing and molded black like the rest of the chassis. This really made the car look a lot more realistic. Next I began to detail the front grill and bumper with the appropriate lights, turn signals, etc., then I painted in the tail lights and license plate. I want the front of the car to look much cleaner than the rest of the car because that’s where the work to restore has already started. I have a few more details to add to the body, then it’ll be time to start on the display case. So far, so good.