Next Project, New Exhaust

1967 Reverse LightsNew Exhaust ProjectThe Beetle has had a Abarth exhaust on it ever since I bought it. They’re a great exhaust and they look good, but I’ve never been a fan of the sound. I’m also pretty sure that the tubes to the heat risers are clogged with carbon. One of things that make Beetles unique is the bubbly exhaust. So, I’ve decided the next project will be to remove the Abarth exhaust and replace it with a stock exhaust. I put in the order to CIP1.com today. After a quick inspection of the current exhaust, I noticed that the person who installed it did it right. Looks like the heads have new studs and they also used brass nuts to secure the exhaust to the heads. This area can be a real problem if steel nuts had been used, you can easily snap the studs a part if the nut is rusted to the stud. I’ll still give each nut a good soaking with PB Blaster and take my time when it comes to removing the nuts from the studs. This is one step that you don’t want to get into a rush. So hopefully, the new exhaust will be delivered in the next week or so and I’ll put together a “how to” on replacing the exhaust.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: