Nearly Complete

Busy couple of days working on Colby’s car to get it ready for him to take his driving test. We had to replace the driver side door handle with a new one. Sounds fairly easy, but it was really difficult. We spent about 5 hours, many curse words and scuffed knuckles just getting it replaced. But it was worth it, truly a learning experience in patience. We also replaced all 4 speakers in the car with new ones. The sound system now rocks! We also finished prepping the hood and getting it primered. Many hours of wet sanding and wet sanding and wet sanding….however, if he ever decides to get the front clip and hood painted, it’s ready!

Back From The Body Shop

Picked up Colby’s car from the body shop this evening. They did a really nice job fixing the bumper support and installing the replacement bumper, bumper cover, new headlights, windshield and wheel wells. No way we could’ve gotten all of that done in one day. Really wish we could’ve had the bumper cover and hood totally finished before taking it to the body shop, but that’s hard to do when you don’t have any power…So, we’ll spend some more time finishing the bumper cover and hood to get them one color. Tomorrow, we’re putting in new spark plugs and taking it easy!
And in case you forgot, this is what we started with….not bad progress for 2 weeks considering how busy we’ve been!

Colby’s Car Off To Body Shop

So, the plan was to have Colby’s replacement hood and bumper prepped and ready for the body shop on Monday. We were to deliver the car tonight so they can get started on the installation early Monday morning. However, we’ve been without power since Friday evening due to storms, working on the car Friday evening and Saturday was a bust. We had to spend the night at my mothers house last night because our house was just to hot to stay at. Luckily, we had power restored at 10:30 this morning and were about to get as much of the car ready as possible. The hood is just going to have to wait until we get the car back from the body shop, but we were about to get the bumper about 95% complete. Still have a bit of wet sanding to do, but it’s almost complete. The body shop is going to straight the front cow of the car, install the new bumper support, bumper cover, new headlights and new windshield. After that, we won’t be in as much of a rush to finish everything else. The car will be road worthy and ready for Colby to take his drivers test in it….

Prep Work Continues

Had some time this evening, so Colby removed his driver side front wheel, sanded and painted it, then re-installed with the reconditioned hubcap. It really turned out nice. We’ll do the back two wheels once we get the other two hubcaps sanded and painted. We also prepped the new bumper support, so now it’s ready to be installed by the body shop. As for the bumper cover, we still have a lot of work to do before it’s delivered to the body shop. We got it about 90% stripped, so now the prep work begins. It has a couple of spots that need to be repaired and we’re hoping to get that complete by Sunday evening. If all goes well, we’ll be delivering it to the body shop early next week. Hopefully it won’t be as hot this weekend and we’ll be able to get a lot done. Lenora picked up the two new wheel wells, but the body shop will be installing them……the work continues!!

Colby’s Project Car

Had a little time this evening, so we removed the right front wheel from Colby’s car, sanded it and painted it. We also removed the damaged wheel well liner. It will be replaced with new ones that should come in tomorrow. Wheel was replaced with the reconditioned hubcap and it looks so much better! We’ll have to remove it again to install the new wheel well liner when it comes in….trying to make progress every day so we can get it in the body shop soon…

New Headlights

The new headlights for Colby’s car came in today. Not going to be able to do any work to the car today, but at least they’re here for when we’re ready. The originals were damaged and not worth trying to fix. As you can see the attached pic, the new headlights look much better than the originals. Hopefully it won’t be too long before we see them on the car!

Colby’s Car, Work Continues

It was so hot today, we waited until this evening to get some work done to Colby’s car. We removed the damaged bumper, headlights, grill and cow bar which already makes the car look better. Colby spent a lot of time sanding and wet sanding the replacement hood to get it ready for primer and painting. New headlights have been ordered, will hopefully be here in the next day or so. Still have some prep work to do on the replacement bumper, but it’s coming along…..