Next Project, New Exhaust

1967 Reverse LightsNew Exhaust ProjectThe Beetle has had a Abarth exhaust on it ever since I bought it. They’re a great exhaust and they look good, but I’ve never been a fan of the sound. I’m also pretty sure that the tubes to the heat risers are clogged with carbon. One of things that make Beetles unique is the bubbly exhaust. So, I’ve decided the next project will be to remove the Abarth exhaust and replace it with a stock exhaust. I put in the order to CIP1.com today. After a quick inspection of the current exhaust, I noticed that the person who installed it did it right. Looks like the heads have new studs and they also used brass nuts to secure the exhaust to the heads. This area can be a real problem if steel nuts had been used, you can easily snap the studs a part if the nut is rusted to the stud. I’ll still give each nut a good soaking with PB Blaster and take my time when it comes to removing the nuts from the studs. This is one step that you don’t want to get into a rush. So hopefully, the new exhaust will be delivered in the next week or so and I’ll put together a “how to” on replacing the exhaust.

Avon Beetles

Avon Beetles

Shauna and Lenora have managed to get me 2 of the 3 Avon Beetles that were released in the 1970’s. Oddly enough, both of these are full of cologne and sort of smell like Old Spice…..I’m only missing the blue one, but I’m sure in time, we’ll find it. Shauna was also able to get me the VW Rabbit that is also full of the same cologne. They’re a nice addition to the collection.

Diorama Lighting

Lighting The DioramaLighting The DioramaLighting The DioramaLighting The DioramaLighting The DioramaLighting The DioramaI finished wiring and management of the lighting system for the diorama. I’m very pleased with the way that it turned out. Best part of the lighting system is that it’s controlled remotely. The LED’s, remote control w/remote and battery pack cost less than 10 dollars. Once I had everything in place, it was just a matter of doing a little wire management and tucking everything out of site. I also finished the detail on the Rat Rod Beetle, but still have to finish the detail on the VW flatbed. Now I can concentrate on the details and button this project up, it’s gone on way too long now. I’m sure I’ll add to it from time to time and switch things up, but so far I’m happy with the direction I’m going with it. Great way to pass time and relieve stress.

10 Degree Cold Start

3rd Brake Light

Third Brake Light ModThird Brake Light ModThird Brake Light ModPlaying around with the 3rd brake light to make it look more vintage. May keep it this way, may not, still undecided. Click here to see how this project started a couple of years ago. I’d eventually like to find an authentic vintage light, but they’re really hard to find and if you do find one in decent shape, they’re very expensive. I believe I purchased this light from Speedway Motors for around 12 dollars. It was originally clear.

New Door Handle Seals

For Christmas last year, Lenora got me all new seals for the doors, door windows, etc. She ordered the kit from Jbugs.com, all German rubber except for one thing, the door handle seals. I couldn’t be more pleased with everything we received from Jbugs.com. The new door window rubber was spot on, fit perfectly and was fairly easy to install. The only thing I was disappointed in was the door handle seals. The seals that came with the set were a hard plastic instead of a hard rubber. I installed them in March of this year and by September, they were already deteriorated and falling apart. Everything else has held up well. When I decided to install the Aussie trim and removed the defective door handle seals, I ordered new ones. I ordered them from Ebay user scorpion562. They were described as hard rubber, not hard plastic. They were only $4.85 so I decided to take a chance and ordered them. When I received them, I knew they were so much better than the ones that I received for Jbugs.com. They were flexible, fit the door handles so much better and fit perfectly. As you can see from the video above, they were a much better quality than the ones that we received from Jbugs.com. I installed them this evening and couldn’t be happier. They look so much better.

New Door Handle SealsNew Door Handle SealsNew Door Handle SealsNew Door Handle Seals

 

 

 

 

After the install, I did quick walk around of Mabel. Very pleased with the results.

Diorama Pieces

Diorama PiecesDiorama PiecesDiorama PiecesDiorama PiecesSince it was so nasty and dreary out today, I worked a little on the diorama pieces. I think I’m pretty much done with the VW Rat Rod and the hand built floor pan. Lenora picked up a perfect size box to use to set up the diorama so I gave the interior of it a fresh coat of paint. Now we have something to build off of. This is going to take a while because many of the parts and pieces are going to be custom built. Sounds like a nice winter project.