Had a little time this evening to work on the custom, junkyard Charger. I’ve got an image in my head of this project finished, it’s just going to take a while to get to it. I want this car sitting on a cinder block in the rear with the rear wheel removed. I want it to look like somebody cared for this car at one time, maybe worked on it a bit as time permitted, then ultimately gave up. With the rear wheel off, I had to create a hub so it wouldn’t look weird. I used part of the stem of blow pop and a little piece of sheet plastic to create the hub. Sorry I didn’t take any photos of the process but as I mentioned, I’ve only had time to work on this project in short increments. One the axle and hub was complete, I weathered it with my dried steel wool, hydrogen peroxide and salt solution. I wanted the removed wheel to stay close to the car and still have a purpose so I decided that it would be used to hold down a tarp the once covered the car. I kicked around many ideas for creating a tarp but most fabric that I thought about using didn’t have the right scale. I wanted the tarp to be battered a bit, maybe torn in a few places, etc. I wanted something that I could form to the contour of the car and remove if I wanted. I decided to give aluminum foil a try. It was easy to form, tear, etc. I actually doubled the thickness of the foil, glued it and it worked perfectly. Once I had the general shape that I wanted, I painted the inside of the foil flat black, then automotive primer and flat navy blue on the outside. I applied my weathering compound along with a little dusting from various pastel chalks, then sealed with a flat clear coat. I may add more highlights later, but for now, I love the way that it turned out. It truly looks like a tarp that’s been outside for a very long time. Now it’s on to working on the display for this custom and the little bits and pieces that will complete the project. I hope to get some time in the next week to take it to the next level. Stay tuned.