This past Thursday, we celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary and decided to treat ourselves to a 1:1 Hot Wheels. So we welcome our new 2015 Hot Red Camaro RS to the Boyd family. Weve only been driving it for a few days now, but so far, were very pleased with it. There are a few subtle mods planned for the near future, but overall, shell remain stock. Lenora has named her Ruby.
One thing I wanted to do to our new Camaro was install the same splitter available on the ZL1. After looking at numerous aftermarket splitters, I decided to go with a stock GM supplied splitter. (part #22997426) I also wanted it painted matte black to match the rear fascia. Unfortunately, I couldnt order it in matte black, but I could order in gloss black. So I ordered the gloss black splitter and 3 days later, it was delivered. Installing this isnt for the faint hearted. The splitter is a functional accessory that changes the aerodynamics of your vehicle. Its not a cheap, snap-on piece of plastic. The mounting hardware is precise and if you dont install it correctly, you can easily screw up your front clip. The splitter has 42 mounts that hold it in place and if you dont install the mounting hardware correctly, it simply will not fit correctly. A very costly mistake. The first evening, I spent many hours sanding the gloss black splitter with 800 grit sandpaper, prepping the surface for the matte black paint and cleaning it thoroughly before painting it. This was the easy part. By the next morning, the paint was dry and turned out perfectly. Next came the hard part. Installing the mounting hardware was very nerve wracking. I was about to drill 25 holes into the front clip of a brand new car. Needless to say, I measured more than 1 time. More like 30 times. Once I was satisfied I had the mounting hardware where it needed to be, I started drilling. A couple of hours later, the mouting hardware was secure and it was time to fit the splitter. It fit perfectly and I was relieved. So, if this is something youd consider doing to save yourself about 300 dollars, I say go for it. Just be patient. Measure more than once, twice or even three times. Im very pleased with the end result.
After owning Ruby for a few months now, we finally got around to getting her windows tinted. This morning, Lenora took her to Pro Tint to have 15% put on all around. I usually go with 5% all around, but this car is hard enough to see out of without tint, so we decided to go a shade lighter. Still dark, but not too dark. Very pleased with the results.