(Originally posted May 2017) I’ll just leave you guessing with this pic. But Ill tell you this.it will not go on a car. It will have a lot more rust on it when I’m finished. It will be functional and serve a purpose. I don’t have a plan for this project, I’m just winging it as I go. Don’t want to have a lot of money into the project, so I’m using spare parts around the garage. If I can do what I want to do for less than 50 dollars, I’ll be very happy!
Started with a donated deck lid from a friend of mine. It was actually in really good condition, so I began the process of aging it a bit. Trying to make it look like its been sitting in a field for about 20 years. Started by replacing the license plate light hood that I had laying around, also ordered a gasket for the hood. So far, I’m 12 dollars in to the project. Finished the night with some light sanding. BTW, as a rusting agent, I’m using 1 part white vinegar, 1 part hydrogen peroxide and 1 part table salt. Heat the area, apply the mixture and let it sit. Works like a charm!
Finished doing all of the sanding that I’m going to do on the deck lid. The idea is to have it look like its been sitting in a field for many years. As I mentioned before, I used a mixture of table salt, hydrogen peroxide and white vinegar on the bare metal to start the rusting process. So far, I’m very pleased with the results. I also had to modify the license plate light housing to accept the new light that I’ll be using. Still need to make a trip to Hobby Lobby to find what I’m looking for.
Finished the rust enhancement, sanding and got everything clear coated in a satin finish. Mounted the license plate, cleaned up the deck lid release and fitted the license plate light hood. Ordered the proper seal for the hood, should be here some time next week. Still need to make a trip to Hobby Lobby to pick up the light, then I need to determine if I’m going to make this just a light fixture or a shelf. All in due time.
Got the wood cut for the shelf and the VW badge installed. Still haven’t decided exactly what I’m going to do with the shelf. I cut this prototype out of 212, I don’t know if I’m going to stay with that or maybe try a 112. Also don’t know if I’m going to stain the wood or paint it. The overall weight of the entire display is much lighter than it looks. Hanging it, even while using the 212 for the shelf, shouldn’t be a problem. So far, I’m very pleased with the results.